The National Iranian Geophysics Society (NIGS) was established on January 31, 1976. The NIGS is a nonprofit organization for geophysicists and engineers. It is an organization providing a national network of geoscientists and academic professionals.
The NIGS is an organization that provides a national network of geoscientists and academic professionals. The association is responsible for the dissemination and exchange of scientific and technological opinions. It provides the latest scientific and research results in the field of earth and space physics. The IGS holds a biannual conference, professional workshops, and prominent scientific lectures, and publishes a quarterly scientific research journal. The association strives to improve the status and role of scientific cooperation and academic development goals of the country.
All members of NIGS are professionally active in two main categories:
- Earth physics, including exploration seismology, earthquake seismology, exploration geophysics, non-seismic methods (gravity, geomagnetics, geoelectrics, electromagnetics …), remote sensing, and rock physics.
- Space physics, including Physics and dynamics of the atmosphere and ocean, air pollution and ozone problems, Climatology, Numerical modeling and prediction of the atmosphere and ocean, remote sensing of the atmosphere, Boundary layer meteorology, agricultural meteorology, aeronautical meteorology, marine meteorology, physics of the Sun in the high atmosphere astronomy and cosmology.
The NIGS organizes the following activities for its Members:
–International and national conferences and seminars:
- Iranian Geophysical Conference, which is held every other day. It has been held 20 times so far (40 years old)
- Oil Seminar, every other day. It has been held 5 times so far (10 years old).
- Conference on Applied Geophysics in mine. It will be held for the first time in 2024
Every year more than 20 workshops/webinars are held in the fields of earth sciences.
–Educational Programmes (short courses, lectures):
IGS organizes several short courses and technical lectures every year. Lecturers are selected from researchers, academics, and industry representatives from around the world as well as Iranian institutions and companies.
–Publications: Iranian Journal of Geophysics:
Iranian Journal of Geophysics (IJG) is a geophysical journal published by NIGS. The journal publishes /scientific articles; in five issues (four in Farsi and one in English) per year.
NIGS has more than 500 permanent, 800 students, 100 honorary, and 200 industrial members, for a total of 1600 members.
The Association is composed of members represented by an unpaid, elected Board of Directors. The members of the board are elected for three years.
The Iranian Geophysical Society is honored to receive the A rank (top rank) among Iranian scientific societies. This distinction is based on the annual evaluation of the Scientific Associations Commission of the country.
– NIGS is an associated member of EAGE now.
NIGS Head Office is located in Tehran, Iran